As a child, my mom enjoyed braiding my hair into cornrows. Obviously, this made me love the style even more as an adult. But in recent years, I’ve heard conflicting things about whether cornrows are good or bad for your hair. Having a few pro tips for cornrows could possibly get everyone on the same page about this style.
Cornrows aren’t bad for your hair. In fact, they can actually correct various types of hair damage. In essence, they promote healthy, new hair growth. Not to mention it’s the best protective style there is.
However, keeping hair braided in tight cornrows for longer an 6 weeks leads to dry and frizzy hair. Below are some pro tips for cornrows as well as cons to the style we all know and love.
Pro Tips and Cons For Cornrows
- Low manipulation hairstyles which allows the hair to grow.
- Cornrows are cute and unique.
- Children love to have hearts, starts and diamonds style in their hair.
- They last for 2 weeks.
- This style is often installed tighter in order for the hair design to be available.
- They are more difficult to take out due to dryness from being untouched for days at a time.
- Hair experience breakage due to the take down process. Taking out loops and overlapping cornrows on dry hair can be painful. It also can cause damage to the scalp as well as the hairline.
The above pro tips for cornrows are just a few of the many benefits to this style. And the installation of cornrows is just as important as taking them down. Consequently, to prevent hair breakage while wearing cornrows, moisture is key.
With this in mind, spraying the braided hair with distilled water and using a moisturizer is crucial. This should be done every few days while wearing this hairstyle. To help you have a better take down experience, pro tips for cornrows includes using the below tools.
- Spray bottle filled with distilled water.
- Rat tail comb for taking out the cornrows.
- Wide tooth comb for detangling the hair.
- Hair clamps for hair previously detangled.
For more info on specials for this style, call or DM us. You can also visit our beauty supply store in Lancaster for all your haircare and styling needs. If you’re ready to get your ‘do on, request an appointment online today!
You may also enjoy reading: April Announcement: Braids For Kids